SZTE

President: Dr. László Németh

Office address:  H-6725 Szeged,
Tisza Lajos krt. 107.,  1st Floor

Central phone: +36 62 544 000
E-mail: office.elnok @ med.u-szeged.hu

Introduction

The Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical and Pharmaceutical Centre is a global organization established pursuant to a joint resolution passed by the Faculty of General Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Szeged. As the legal successor of the Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical University, the Centre successfully coordinates health care related activities in the areas of research and development, clinical and pharmacological examinations, basic and further training in medical disciplines, and patient therapy. With the aim of meeting present requirements and also future challenges in the area of patient care, the Senate of the University of Szeged created the Clinical Centre of the Faculty of General Medicine from the institutions involved in patient care at the Faculty of General Medicine, which started operation on January 01, 2005. In addition to representing the key institution of patient care in Szeged, Hungary's third largest city, the Centre is also a repository of a number of large-scale projects that have been included in the National Development Plan of Hungary for the period between 2007 and 2013, supported by the European Union. Among these projects, the health industry key project to be realized within the Szeged Biopolisz Initiative and the Szeged Health Care Centre a high level project implementing a clinical centre and incorporating a uniform provision of health care in Szeged, deserves special mention.
 
Szeged, Tisza, Statue of SissySzeged, Mora Ferenc Museum
Szeged, Klauzál SquareSzeged, Dugonics Square, University of Szeged
Szeged, Tisza River

A history of the Faculties of General Medicine and Pharmacy

The Ferencz József University, a four-faculty university established in Kolozsvár and relocated to Szeged in 1921, was the common legal predecessor of the Faculty of General Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy of the present University of Szeged. The University offered training in medicine from its beginning. However, in 1951, this branch of training was separated and the Medical University of Szeged was established. In 1957, training in pharmacy was separated from the activities of the medical faculty, and an individual pharmaceutical faculty was created and pharmacy training was launched in Szeged. Training in dentistry as a major was introduced in 1962 within the Faculty of General Medicine. The Institute of Pharmaceutical Analytics and the Institute of Clinical Pharmacy were established at the Faculty of Pharmacology in 1996 and 1999, respectively, and, in academic year 2002-2003, the Institute of Drug Regulatory Affairs began to operate. Of the four institutions involved in pharmacy training in Hungary, the faculty in Szeged operates the largest number of institutes. Starting from 1985, the year when English language training was introduced, training in medicine has been delivered in two languages. In 1987, the Medical University of Szeged adopted the name of its ex-professor of biochemistry and Noble Prize Laureate, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Rector of the University, Albert Szent-Györgyi. Since January 01, 2000, the faculty of training in medicine and the faculty of training in dentistry have operated as faculties of the University of Szeged which, together with the Faculty of Pharmacy, form the Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical and Pharmaceutical Centre.

The past of the faculties is marked by the activities of such professors of international renown such as József Baló (pathology), Béla Issekutz and Miklós Jancsó (pharmacology), Dezsõ Miskolczy (neurology), Géza Hetényi (internal medicine), Gábor Petri (surgery), and Albert Szent-Györgyi (biochemistry). One of the strengths of the operation of the faculties is that the prestige of a physician's career and training has been preserved amidst the peculiarities of Hungarian history, and the physicians and researchers have had the opportunity to participate in training at western institutions at relatively early stages of their careers. As a result, these faculties have a staff of physicians and researchers with an excellent educational background, and have acquired considerable reputations in Hungary, as well as abroad.

egyetem 05

egyetem01

szte-tik